Planting Tulips in the “Country Formal” cut flower garden.

I can picture Dr. Todino sitting at his desk on a warm summer’s day and thinking about the coming spring. I know what catalogue he was looking at, too, because I appropriated it (the word “Stole” would not apply here, because I do plan to return it.).

Tulip catalogue

Order the bulbs any time, they will be shipped at the correct time for planting

We started a nice cutting garden last summer—what I named “country formal.”  You may wish to check the installation by clicking on this address. The garden is divided into four raised beds in a circular pattern that are installed with brick borders for a compost planting medium. All I had planted so far was pansies. I knew that Doc had ordered a lot of bulbs but I didn’t know how many.

I have to work by email and text while I’m waiting for my voice to come in, and the other night as I was watching Buck Rogers, I got a text—“How many tulips do you need for the garden?”

I thought, “I’ll fix him.” I texted back, “400”  I grinned as I waited for the answer which was, “What colors?”  I felt that I had been put firmly in my place.

I took my drill and my auger but I found early on that they weren’t needed. We were able to just take a mattock and scrape a trench in the soft compost. I decided to put the bulbs in a row directly behind the pansies. I’m working this garden toward the center where I plan to plant a collection of cone flowers (Echinacea)

Planting tulip bulbs in December

Planting tulip bulbs in December

We had enough bulbs to put a row all the way around the bed inside the pansies and then enough more to put a partial row inside this.  Here is a picture of the second row after we had closed up the first one.

Adding the second row of tulip bulbs

Adding the second row of tulip bulbs

And just so Doc can keep track of what is where, because I know he will read this, I took pictures of the labels as we planted the beds in a clockwise rotation. I know one of the pictures is fuzzy, but deal with it, I did.

Keeping track of what was planted

Keeping track of what was planted

tulip bag 2

tulip bag 3

tulip bag 4

I do think it is going to be quite a show. The garden is taking shape. I love being able to work on a project like this one step at a time.

Finishing the tulip planting job

Finishing the tulip planting job

I don’t think I’ve mentioned it, either, but the entire garden project is presented as a picture on this wall.

A garden planted just right  can end up being an ever changing picture on a wall.

A garden planted just right can end up being an ever changing picture on a wall.

++++++++++++++++++++

As usual, I would just love for you click here to go to Amazon and purchase the ebook edition of my wonderful book, Requiem for a Redneck to go on your Kindle. I have also noticed that Amazon now has a free Kindle app for iphones and tablets. Is that cool or what?

If you want a consultation in your yard in N.W. Georgia, send me an email at wherdepony@bellsouth.net

Advertisements

8 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Connie Burnes
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 10:54:02

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Keep planting those bulbs. I bought some unusual daffodils to get in the ground. They are in the refrigerator right now.
    Gibbs Garden (Ball Ground, GA…take your honey over there) will open in the spring with the early daffodils…I can’t tell you how many have been planted of the different varieties. Some of us went before they closed Dec. 16 and got some wonderful Christmas presents at 70% off in the gift shop!!! Anyway they were out planting even more bulbs. None were in the gift shop which surprised me.
    Keep taking care of that voice box!!! Love ya, Connie & Harvey

2. linda mackey moore
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 11:40:51

Cannot wait to see the results of you plan, planting and creative process.

3. Michael P. Dansereau
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 12:03:06

Your mom knows you still play in the dirt, right?

4. govvillage
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 17:46:58

Let the anticipation begin.

5. Bob Hicks
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 18:16:22

John, will we see this garden in bloom?

_____

From: Johntheplantman’s stories, musings, and gardening. [mailto:comment-reply@wordpress.com] Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 10:42 AM To: remhicks@comcast.net Subject: [New post] Planting Tulips in the “Country Formal” cut flower garden.

John Schulz posted: “I can picture Dr. Todino sitting at his desk on a warm summer’s day and thinking about the coming spring. I know what catalogue he was looking at, too, because I appropriated it (the word “Stole” would not apply here, because I do plan to return it.”

• John Schulz
      Jan 01, 2013 @ 18:53:01

I am looking forward to showing them to you, Bob

On Jan 1, 2013, at 6:16 PM, “Johntheplantman’s stories, musings, and gardening.” wrote:

> > New comment on your post “Planting Tulips in the “Country Formal” cut flower garden.” > Author : Bob Hicks (IP: 98.219.16.208 , c-98-219-16-208.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) > E-mail : remhicks@comcast.net > URL : > Whois : http://whois.arin.net/rest/ip/98.219.16.208 > Comment: > John, will we see this garden in bloom? > > > > _____ > >

6. Trackback: Update on “Country Formal Cutting Garden” | Johntheplantman's stories, musings, and gardening.
  7. Trackback: Prepare for weed management—A rustic perennial bed in the country | Johntheplantman's stories, musings, and gardening.

Comment or leave a reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s